Guest Editors: Tobias Schätz, Vladan Vuletic, Michael Drewsen, Jonathan Home, Leon Karpa
Special Issue Information
It is with great pleasure that we announce the upcoming Special Issue of Applied Sciences, “Optical Trapping of Ions and Atoms 2020: Novel Advances and Prospects”. The field of optical trapping of atomic particles, both individual ions and atoms as well as ensembles thereof, has seen very rapid progress, giving rise to a rich and diverse spectrum of current and potential applications. It is this issue’s focus to present and highlight these interesting developments. All authors working in this area of research or in related fields are invited to submit their most recent results on the outlined topics for a possible publication in this Special Issue.
The submitted works will be reviewed according to the established standards and peer-review process of Applied Sciences, including the requirement that the presented results be original and unpublished. Submissions may also include review articles treating the topics including, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Optical traps for ions and Coulomb crystals;
- Hybrid radiofrequency and optical ion traps;
- Nanoscale potentials in ion traps;
- State-selective traps for ions;
- Interaction of ions with optical standing waves and optical potentials;
- Structural phase transitions in ion crystals;
- New approaches to quantum computation and simulations with ions in optical potentials;
- Ultracold ion–atom interactions in optical traps.
Prof. Tobias Schätz
Prof. Vladan Vuletic
Prof. Michael Drewsen
Prof. Jonathan Home
Dr. Leon Karpa
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Applied Sciences is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1500 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI’s English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Optical traps for ions and Coulomb crystals
- Hybrid radiofrequency and optical ion traps
- Nanoscale potentials in ion traps
- State-selective traps for ions
- Interaction of ion with optical standing waves and optical potentials
- Structural phase transitions in ion crystals
- New approaches to quantum computation and simulations with ions in optical potentials
- Ultracold ion–atom interactions in optical traps
This special issue is now open for submission.