Dear Ion Trappers,
As you might know, the European Conference on Trapped Ions (ECTI, https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/ECTI2021) will be held as a hybrid event on November 22-26, 2021. Besides an all online attendance option, during this week it is planned to have in-person satellite meetings organized and held by the University of Mainz (on Thursday 25 November, details below) and by the University of Oxford (BrECTI, on Monday 22 November, see BrECTI website).
We need your feedback now concerning the Mainz satellite meeting: For the Mainz satellite meeting to happen we need to know before how many people are planning to attend in person. The Mainz satellite meeting will give you the opportunity to attend a “normal” conference day, with real-world speakers, and coffee breaks for discussions. Below a list of invited speakers who confirmed that they could give their talk in Mainz in person.
Invited speakers in Mainz (to be confirmed):
- Christian Schiegelow (Buenos Aires – squeezing of ion motion)
- Daniel Kienzler (ETH Zürich – Be+-H2+ ion chains)
- Elena Jordan (NIST/PTB – EIT cooling of 2d crystals)
- Klemens Hammerer (Hannover – ion clocks theory)
- Roland Wester (Innsbruck – THz spectroscopy of trapped ions)
- Sergey Eliseev (Heidelberg – PENTATRAP precision measurements)
- Ulrich Poschinger (Mainz – heat engine)
We have extended the registration deadline on the ECTI website https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/ECTI2021. Final deadline to register for the Mainz satellite meeting is Wednesday 10 November at 12:00h CET. So please if you plan to attend, please register asap.
Please note, attendance of the Mainz meeting is everyone’s own decision. The Mainz satellite meeting will be held under 2G+ conditions (which means vaccinated and recovered people can participate plus a limited number of people tested negative for Covid-19). Also, most of the restaurants in Mainz now require 2G (only vaccinated and recovered guests). Please check the conditions of your university for travel and current travel restrictions between countries before registering for the satellite meeting.
We will inform everybody by Thursday 11 November 2021 this week if the Mainz satellite meeting takes place, so please book your trip only after we sent out this information. Also, with the rising Covid numbers we might need to revise our decision just before the meeting.
Concerning the Oxford satellite meeting, we have a good number of registrations and the satellite meeting will likely take place.
Invited speakers in Oxford:
- Mariam Akhtar (Sussex – chip-to-chip ion shuttling)
- David Nadlinger (Oxford – device-independent QKD)
- Andriana Tsikritea (Liverpool – cold ion chemistry)
- Graham Stutter (Sussex – ion/cavity experiment)
- April Cridland (Swansea – anti-hydrogen)
So, if Covid stays stable in UK, BrECTI will likely happen.
We would appreciate if you could forward this e-mail to other people in your group so that the information reaches all ion trappers. Thank you for your help!
We are looking forward to meeting you at hybrid ECTI!
Markus and Michael